Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Long, Drawn Out Trip: The animated short that introduced Pink Floyd to Gerald Scarfe


Sent to you via Google Reader

A Long, Drawn Out Trip: The animated short that introduced Pink Floyd to Gerald Scarfe


[Video Link: "A Long, Drawn Out Trip"]



Last night I watched (and greatly enjoyed) the Pink Floyd "The Story of Wish You Were Here" documentary Richard Metzger turned me on to last week (buy it here, and my earlier post about that documentary is here).


I ended up going down one of those internet-rabbit holes where you search and watch a bunch of related stuff online. Among the rabbit-holes I fell down: the story of how the band hooked up with the now-legendary illustrator and caricaturist Gerald Scarfe. He and the band later teamed up on "The Wall," and Scarfe's visual style is now a kind of icon of that era of Big Rock and Roll. I am not a big fan of the later-day, grand spectacle school of rock music visuals for which they became known, but I am fascinated by his earlier material.



UK native Scarfe created "A Long, Drawn Out Trip" in 1971 after traveling to the US. As the story goes, Roger Waters and David Gilmour saw the 18-minute short when it was aired on the BBC in 1973 (only once in its entirety! remember, this is before YouTube!), and said, "That's the stuff!" The stream-of-co...

No comments:

Post a Comment