Monday, October 4, 2010

Sen. Jim DeMint: Gays, Single Women Shouldn't Teach

dude.

 
 

Sent to you by curt via Google Reader:

 
 

via Towleroad News #gay by Andrew Belonsky on 10/4/10

6a00d8341c730253ef01287652afa4970c-800wi

South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint truly outdid himself over the weekend. DeMint, a Republican, has long railed against the gays, whose marriages he thinks are "destructive" to society.

Well, DeMint went one step further this weekend, when, during a conservative church rally, he declared gay men and single women shouldn't teach, according to the Spartanburg Herald-Journal.


DeMint said if someone is openly homosexual, they shouldn't be teaching in the classroom and he holds the same position on an unmarried woman who's sleeping with her boyfriend — she shouldn't be in the classroom.

"(When I said those things,) no one came to my defense," he said. "But everyone would come to me and whisper that I shouldn't back down. They don't want government purging their rights and their freedom to religion."

Huffington Post's Amanda Terkel points out that DeMint said something similar during the 2004 campaign and later retracted his statement, saying, "As my wife often reminds me, sometimes my heart disengages from my head and I say something I shouldn't – and that's what happened yesterday. I clearly said something as a dad that I just shouldn't have said. And I apologize."

Clearly DeMint's apologies aren't worth much, although one does begin to see why Senatorial hopeful Christine O'Donnell, who describes homosexuality as an "identity disorder," cited DeMint as her inspiration.


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment